1 South Africa in Style | Traveling Light Blog by Travel Writer Colleen Friesen

South Africa in Style

truck -David DiGregorio

Press trips can go very very wrong.

Often there are the high-maintenance prima donnas (or dons) who sashay in late with no apologies for holding up the group. Or the ones who sniff and send back their meals for something better. Then too, there can be the PR person who is a taskmaster that runs the entire trip with a stop watch. And sometimes it can simply be that the destination or the hotels or a combination thereof can be a bit of a lunchbag letdown.

But every once in awhile, like this current press trip to South Africa…every thing and every one…works.

Great people. Amazing experiences. Gorge swings. Horseback rides on the beach. Ziplines.

Zipline

Langa Township - Colleen Friesen

Township tours. Seafood galore. Scenery that leaves me gobsmacked. Comfortable silences and great gasping guffaws.

I haven’t been on too many trips where I go to bed, turn off the light and just before I am about to go to sleep, snork myself awake because I start laughing again.

Tomorrow we leave Cape Town and head north to the Kapama Karula Private Game Reserve.

I can’t wait.

Table Mountain

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.
6 Responses
  1. Catherine says:

It does seem like a fantastic holiday. Its great that everything and everyone works. Have a great time. Enjoy it!
    Cant’t wait to read your blog about the wildlife.

2. Colleen Friesen says:

Catherine, it all just keeps getting better better. We’re at the game reserve now. It’s beyond fantastic!

3. Laurie says:

Alas, if I only had time for travel! Your trip looks amazing and it sounds like you have a copacetic group, which can be sooo helpful and really help set the tone for articles, so kudos to the organizers of the tour for getting the mix right.

4. Colleen Friesen says:

Laurie, this trip IS amazing. Every time I think we’ve had a fabulous day, something even better happens. And yes, the laughing is pretty loud. It’s a wonder we’ve seen any animals at all with all our carrying on :)

5. Deon Grové says:

Hi Colleen

It was great having you guys do a flight with me the other day. Hope the rest of your trip is really fun as well.

Regards

Deon

6. Colleen Friesen says:

Hi Deon, Thanks again for a great hot air balloon experience. I wish we would have had longer to chat. I love your story of how you came to ballooning & white water rafting. It’s inspiring!